On Friday, January 28, Barriere hosted its annual post-secondary scholarship ceremony at its dedicated Training Center in Boutte. Peter Wilson, who retired from the role of Barriere President/CEO at the end of 2021, presented $32K worth of scholarships to nine Gulf South university students. His successor Jason Latiolais and son Matthew Wilson also participated in the ceremony.
The George H. Wilson Scholarship Fund, established in honor of Peter’s father, afforded $2K each to two 2022 LSU Asphalt Technology Scholarship recipients this year. The Louisiana Asphalt Pavement Association, part of the National Asphalt Pavement Association (NAPA) once led by both George and Peter, administrates the scholarship available to LSU students who are enrolled in Intro to Asphalt Mixture and Design.
Seven undergraduate students took home $4K each from the second annual distribution of the Acott/Wilson Scholarship, which was initiated through NAPA by former Barriere Advisory Board member Bob Thompson and his wife Ellen. The fund honors past NAPA President Michael Acott and the Wilson family that owned and operated Barriere for 70+ years. All of the awardees are pursuing Civil Engineering, Construction Management or related degrees, and have been Barriere Interns at least once.
Barriere is pleased to celebrate this year’s bunch of winners!
- Bradley Gray, 2021 and 2020 Intern
- Camille DiCarlo, 2021 Resource Operations Center Intern
- Jackson Gassen, 2021 Intern and current Barriere South Shore Asphalt Group employee!
- Matthew Christy, 2021 South Shore Asphalt Group Intern
- Nicholas Harris, 2021 Baton Rouge Asphalt Group Intern
- Parker LeBlanc, 2021 Field Engineer Intern for South Shore Asphalt Group
- William Perilloux, 2021 Field Engineer Intern on MSY project
LSU Asphalt Technology Scholarship
- Madison Carney, Civil Engineering
- Matthew Pham, Civil Engineering